Thursday, 18 March 2010

Prelim Task Evaluation

Our film is supposed to demonstrate conventions of a British crime thriller, so in order to do this we needed to create a brief storyline. We adapted the idea of 'owing somebody money' from various T.V programmes that we have seen and, primarily, films that we thought we could relate to in terms of the chosen genre.
In order to make it seem realistic (which was one of our main objectives) we wore suits, smart shoes and put on a cockney accent. -This represented the social group that we were trying to convey - members of the 'mob'. We also made the environment that we were filming in simple, (A table, candlesticks, photo frame, picture frame, a glass of water and a gun) because we wanted to draw the viewer's attention to the conversation that was taking place.
An independent media institution like Film4 would most likely distribute our media product because it's not high budget, and it will continue Film4's talent at producing British cinema.

The audience for the film would most likely be people who are of ages 16-35, as a lot of crime films relate to an audience of 18 years and over. It's hard to determine an accurate type of audience as this was only a short preliminary task.
We tried to attract the audience in many ways; firstly by including a dramatic tune in the introduction -From when I open the door to when i sit down-, we did this to create tension.
We prolonged the establishment of the identity of the the person (me) who walks through the door to engage the audience so they feel they want to find out who it is. We did this by tracking my feet as I walked to the chair, then the camera pedestals upwards to reveal my face, which is then followed by dialogue which relieves some of tension we tried to build up.
We tried to address the audience by using certain camera shots and movements which makes it look like the actor is addressing someone behind the camera. In my case, we tried to make it look as if I was always looking at Conor when i spoke a line. For example at '00.29' on the video, we used a low-angle medium shot of me which then tilts upwards as i get up from the chair. This method of filming that particular part of the scene represents a hierarchy between the two characters which attracts the audience's attention as it makes the film more interesting to watch.

During the construction of the film, I have learnt a lot about the technologies we have used. For example, I have improved my use of 'iMovie', making it easier for me and group to fully edit the film. This includes audio, transitions, colour, cropping and many more.
I have also learnt how to add effects when using the filming camera, such as the fireworks effect which delays the camera's reaction to the surroundings - which could be used to convey confusion or injury to the head.
The construction process as a whole was tricky at times (sticking to the 180 degree rule, not having enough space to perform some of our originally desired camera movements and trying to find specific sounds on 'iMovie'. For example, the editing software doesn't include a gun-shot sound, which would have been perfect for the ending when I get shot.
But these setbacks were overcome; the problem of not having enough space was frustrating, but we changed a few of the shots and movements and it did, eventually, work very well.
The problem of not finding a gun-shot sound on 'iMovie' was solved by using the sound of metal clashing together - which was provided by the software. This sounded very much like a gun-shot when we edited it in.

The audience feedback I received was from my parents, they said they loved it but the one weakness to it is the lack of camera steadiness from 00:22 to 00:28, which is true.
We will make turn this weakness into a strength on our main task by moving the camera with wheels beneath to make it run smoothly.
Overall, the process was very enjoyable and has improved my knowledge on how to construct a short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment